Tuesday, May 7, 2019

The things I carry

So, after nearly two years living out of our backpacks, I’ve finally got the packing thing down. Just in time to move back into the house! I’ve been converted, though, and plan to continue packing this same way for every future trip, short or long. Here’s what I’ve learned.
Ball cap, Alaska (when I was missing my hat) It clips onto my daypack so didn't add to luggage.
1. No matter what size bag I start with, I always manage to fill it.

Years ago it was a big wheeled suitcase; now it’s a backpack, and at a push, it is carry-on sized. According to the U.S. Transportation Security Administration, nail clippers, tweezers, disposable razors, and even sewing kits are all permitted in carry-on luggage! Disposable razors are terrible for the environment, but if you want to shave…

Or a train
So start with a bag that meets carry-on requirements, and you will manage with less. It doesn’t have to be a backpack. If you’re more comfortable with a roller bag, go for it! But it should not be too large, or heavy, to go in the overhead bin on a plane.

We needed something durable that would be surprisingly comfortable and leave our hands free. Osprey backpacks met all our requirements and were well worth the expense. (They also come with a lifetime guarantee—and no, I’m not affiliated with any of these products.)

Many bags, some very expensive, are sold with lots of features and organization designed to let you carry everything in one bag. I am not a fan of this approach, for the simple reason that no plane has room for everybody to put this size of bag in the overhead bin. In fact, smaller regional or propeller planes routinely check bags at the gate, and you often have to put your bag under a bus, etc. too. For this reason, I recommend:

2. Always travel with two bags.

Merino wool (shirt, New Zealand) means you can
wear fewer items more often and in heat or cold.
The smaller bag should be what airlines call a “personal item,” i.e., it should fit under the airplane seat in front of you. Bear in mind that if you actually put it there, it will cut into your foot room—so the smaller, the better! The type of bag is up to you (handbag, laptop bag, or a packing cube you can pull out of your main bag); the important thing is what’s in there. Anything you need with you at all times, whether that’s valuables (passport, credit cards, etc.) or things you need in transit—entertainment, medication, sleep mask, whatever. If you’re flying, a change of clothes. 

The reason for the smaller bag is not to pack more stuff! There are two reasons: A) Even if you plan to carry your main bag onto a plane, if there is no room on board, you can still check it at the gate (for free). And B) You need something to carry things around in at your destination, without lugging your main bag. I always carry a small backpack (daypack) but many people prefer a purse- or messenger-style bag.
Buffs (mine from Uluru)--one of the most versatile items you can take on your travels.
Having the things you need already packed in this day bag means you don’t have to scramble in a line at the gate, and when you get to wherever you’re going, you can lock your main bag up at the place you are staying.

3. Since I always fill my bag no matter the size, I follow the one-in, one-out rule.
  1. Handmade Ecuadorian shirt--thanks, Ines!

    Two of my best purchases--pajamas from Chiang Mai
    (top) and a market in Kuala Lumpur (bottoms)
    I picked up quite a few things along the way, but because the amount of “stuff” in my bag had to remain constant, they had to replace something old.
    Replacement shorts bought in Cagnes-sur-Mer, France


    T-shirt from Llama Path, Cuzco, Peru

    4. Some travel-specific items are a waste of money—but not all.

    Definitely worth buying were: a microfibre travel towel, a universal adaptor (for plugs in various sockets around the world), a portable hard drive, and the backpacks themselves. 
    Our bags could travel anywhere--on our laps on buses in Africa,
    or on boats in Asia.
    These were travel-specific expenses that paid for themselves many times over. There is no substitute for the light, quick-drying towel, and it’s hard to find at your destination—few items meet these criteria. The adaptor was also essential, and much less bulky than carrying different ones for different types of outlets. We found portable hard drives (along with an online backup such as Google Photos) essential for all the hundreds of photos we took, as our laptop wouldn’t store them all and the peace of mind was priceless. It’s not much use having everything in digital form if you can lose it all in one place.
    Rash guards from Hanauma Bay, Hawaii; travel towel (on mangrove), and khanga from Tanzania (like a sarong)

    Handy, but you needn’t go out and buy them: a sewing kit (I already had one); travel-sized liquid container; packing cubes; an RFID-safe money belt; and “travel” underwear/sports bras. T. used the sewing kit mainly, to sew flags onto my daypack from each country.
    Sewing on board the slow boat, Mekong River, Laos
    These were  my souvenirs and, because they went on the outside of the bag, didn’t take up any space inside.
    Travel-sized liquid containers are handy for meeting carry-on requirements, but you could just squirt your favourite shampoo into a hotel container, or buy a solid bar. 

    New Aran sweater from Ireland--better fit in a compression bag!
    You could also use plastic bags instead of buying packing cubes, especially if your gear needs waterproofing. But we found the cubes really useful for separating our clothes, etc., and for pulling things out of the backpacks without unpacking everything. Compression bags are useful if you need to take clothes for multiple climates--e.g., compress your winter jacket, sweater, etc. and only unpack when you get to cold weather.

    New T-shirt, Wyoming
    I used a money belt for my “other” passport, cards, and cash, mainly on transit days. When out and about, I mostly locked this up wherever we were staying. The Ex Officio was pricey for underwear, but I found it worth it for its wicking properties and the ability to dry it quickly after washing it out. For a short trip, or if you’re not doing any hiking, don’t bother.

    If you are doing specific activities, some items are probably worth taking. For hiking, I found I needed trekking poles,

    a water reservoir
    (e.g., Camelbak) and a few clothespins or binder clips to hang socks up to dry. We also found a couple of carabiners (“carbonaras,” as T. calls them) useful for clipping things to backpacks. Most travelers could make do with a reusable water bottle—which I strongly recommend. I also wish I had thought to buy purifying tablets at the beginning of our travels. In places where the tap water is not safe, boiling water or using these tablets means you don’t have to buy plastic bottles, saving both money and pollution.

    Insulated water bottle (from Bernie in California)
    & water bottle holder from Aguas Calientes market, Peru
    Travel-specific items that I could have left behind: a “Point It” guide, full of pictures that you can point to when you don’t speak the language, to communicate with people in another country. I already had one that Eurail sent me years ago and had read that they were useful, so I threw it in. I ended up never using it. This surprised me, but between English, a few words of the local language, and nonverbal communication, we always managed. If something like this is available on your phone, I guess it doesn’t take up any space, though.

    Sweatshirt + down jacket = layers for glaciers!
    Travel laundry soap was also a waste—heavy liquid and it got all over everything. If you’re using a washing machine, you’ll need to find regular detergent when you get there (preferably powder). And if you’re washing things out in a sink, just use shampoo. Most hotels provide this free.

    I did occasionally use a universal plug stopper. Lots of sinks don’t have plugs and this is very small and light, so it was worth the few dollars I paid.

    I took a small portable USB charger, but it probably wasn’t worth it. Most places you can charge things and the few times I did try to use it, it was likely to be out of charge itself! I charged it up specifically for my mountain climb, when I’d have no other opportunity to charge a camera, but the only real use I got out of it was that when I lost the cord for my old phone, I found that the charger’s cable happened to fit it. 

    Toiletries bag (and long-sleeved shirt from flea market), Sydney.
    T-shirt from Mauritius.
    Finally, I’ve kept my passport in a holder for years, but I don’t think a cover for your passport is necessary. More useful is just to keep it in a Ziploc bag, as not one, but two passports of mine have been water damaged over the years. In fact, take a bunch of Ziploc bags with you, as they’re incredibly useful and surprisingly hard to find on the road.

    5. And last but not least, everyone, including me, has a luxury (or two) that’s worth the weight of carrying. You just have to know what it is.

    A distinctive luggage tag is a good idea, and doesn't
    take up any room in the bag.
    Lots of travel sites advise you to ditch the camera because your phone can do the same thing, or not take any books because an e-reader/tablet is so much lighter, etc. But everyone has their luxury item(s) that make them feel at home, whether for a short or long trip.

    Wind/waterproof jacket from Vancouver.
    Plus warm hat (toque) and balaclava!
    My phone doesn’t have any “apps”—it’s just an old BlackBerry that no one would ever steal. I borrowed T’s Kindle from time to time, to read a book I couldn’t find in print form, but it just doesn’t do it for me. I prefer a physical paper book. Apart from a guidebook, which could be downloaded or, in some cases, just the chapters I needed cut out to save weight and space. I needed a book to read and so there were always two books in my bag. Something heavy that you use every day is worth more than something light that you would never miss.
    Real winter boots, on the other hand, had to be mailed back.
    T’s luxury was a proper camera that took up space, weighed a lot, and really made her stand out. So what? She never had any problems in 20 months, and took so many really great pictures. For some serious photographers, a camera bag is a good choice for their smaller “personal item” bag.

    T. and photographer friends, on a 4x4 to visit elephants, Thailand
    What about you? What are your packing challenges? Stuff you never end up using, or wish you’d taken? What luxury would you not travel without?

6 comments:

Laylee Petrie said...

The wife and I are going to the dominican in june...we are only taking a backpack each. Thanks for the packing advice!!! I think we can do this!!!

Janet said...

1. Unless you are going only to a beach resort, take gloves and thin silk glove liners: early mornings/evenings can get cold even in otherwise warm climates, as can any trips up mountains. And in really cold places, the thin glove liners (which weigh nothing and take up no space) mean you can take your gloves off to use a camera or whatever without exposing your hands completely.
2. If you're travelling in a group, a travel version of a game or pack of cards - takes up a bit of room, but is a good way of breaking the ice with fellow travellers (the geographical sort, that is...)

Unknown said...

A delightful and lively blog, packed with useful and fascinating information! P & G

J. E. Knowles said...

Thanks for reading, Laylee! And Janet--excellent additions. I always have a pair of lightweight gloves or liners in the zip pocket of my fleece--not too fashionable but very "handy"!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this paragraph is fastidious, my sister is analyzing such things, so I am going to inform her.

Jessica Zara said...

Hello, Great post and great title of your post that is "the things i carry". Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and your memories. I like this post. Great work is done by you. I also carry different things when i visit on different country. Last time i visit UK on UK UK spouse visa , i carry my most important thing like my favorite dress and food.